Whether you’re a police officer, in the military, a survivalist or an avid hunter, you know just how important it is to have one of the essential survival tools like; best tactical flashlight. Even for the everyday person, a tactical flashlight is great tool to have. In this post, we’ll explain what they are, why everyone should have one and how to find a reliable tactical flashlights that won’t disappoint.
What is a Tactical Flashlight?
Simply put, a tactical flashlight is designed for tactical purposes (e.g. military or police). Most are designed to be mounted to a weapon for use in low-light situations, but handheld models are also available. Specialty flashlights are generally smaller than your conventional flashlight, and they emit more light. And of course, most are made from rugged material to provide the utmost in durability.
Tactical flashlights are generally designed for police or military use, but they’re also great for self-defense.
Why Everyone Should Have Best Tactical Flashlight
When it comes to self-defense, you may be surprised by how useful a flashlight can be. Tactical flashlights, in particular, can:
- Distract attackers: Shining bright light in an attacker’s eyes will temporarily blind and disorient them. That gives you enough time to flee or attack back.
- Help you identify attackers: If you’re in a low-light environment, a tactical flashlight can help you identify and deter attackers. Let’s face it – attackers don’t want to be seen, so shining a bright light on them and blowing their cover may be enough to send them running in the opposite way.
What to Look for When Buying a Tactical Flashlight
Remember, these specialty flashlights are very different from your ordinary household flashlight. When buying one, there are quite a few things you should be looking for.
- Lumen output: To act as a self-defense tool or for police/military use, a tactical flashlight needs to emit more light. Look for flashlights with at least 120 lumens.
- Portability: These specialty flashlights should be small enough to fit in your pocket.
- Durability: Look for flashlights built with rugged materials, like hard anodized aluminum, that can stand up to extreme use.
- Bulb type: LED bulbs are ideal because they have a long lifespan, but incandescent flashlights are less expensive.
- Waterproof: Whether you’re using your flashlight for true tactical purposes or emergency situations, you need to make sure it will work in every situation. A waterproof flashlight will work in the rain and wet conditions.
Brightest Tactical Flashlight
Tactical flashlights are meant to be bright. After all, you need a bright flashlight when out in the field. There are a lot of elements that go into finding the brightest tactical flashlight from lumen to the difference between LED and incandescent.
Let’s take a look at all of these elements, so you can find the brightest flashlight around.
A lumen is the actual measurement of visible light emitted by a source – in this case your flashlight. The higher the lumen number, the higher the total amount of visible light will be. However, many manufacturers will state that their product is able to output 800 max lumen, but that is only at max power.
In most cases, these models can only achieve this number of lumens for a brief period of time and are instead modified to only produce 400 lumen, for example.
The higher the lumen count, the better, but always shop for a quality flashlight. Low quality flashlights will provide misleading lumen maximums that aren’t able to be achieved in the field.
LED vs Incandescent
Everywhere you look, you’ll see people saying that LED is better than incandescent, but is it true? Technically, no it’s not. The real benefit to LED bulbs in a flashlight is that they can last 100,000 hours in some cases. This means that you’ll never really have to worry about your flashlight’s lightbulb dying on you.
Incandescent bulbs do not last nearly as long.
But, there is something that incandescent bulbs do better: their beams have a longer distance and power.
It gets a lot more confusing than this. While stronger, the maximum power and distance of an incandescent flashlight is often impractical. Instead, most people will choose to go with the comparable LED models even if they are less powerful because they last a very long time.
The brightest tactical flashlight will have a high amount of lumens that can be sustained for a long period of time. You may even find certain models that contain varying power settings. This allows you to choose the highest number of lumens possible, or choose a lower lumen amount in return for an extended battery life.
If you want to know what the highest tier of flashlights consist of, most have lumens of 1000 – 2000. For most purposes, you’ll do fine with a lumen count as low as 600 up to 1200. The ultra-powerful models that contain 2000 lumen capability are often only meant for specific usages and aren’t meant for an all-around model due to their immense brightness levels.
When you’re backed into a corner, a tactical flashlight can act as a great self-defense tool, and its bright light makes it an excellent choice for military or police use. The next time you purchase a flashlight for your home, pick up a tactical flashlight too – you never know when you might need it.